Fully Funded PhD Scholarships at IST Austria. The Institute of Science and Technology (IST) Austria is a world-renowned research university located in Klosterneuburg, Austria. It offers fully funded PhD scholarships in a variety of scientific disciplines, including biology, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, and physics.
The IST PhD scholarships are highly competitive, with only a small percentage of applicants being selected. To be eligible for an IST PhD scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant scientific discipline
- Have a strong academic record
- Demonstrate a passion for research
- Have a clear research proposal that aligns with the interests of one of the IST’s faculty members
Fully Funded PhD Scholarships at IST Austria: Requirements and Eligibility 2024
Requirements and eligibility According to IST are as follows:
HOW DO I APPLY?
ISTA processes applications to its PhD program once a year. To APPLY, you have to create an online account, which will allow you to track your application through its various stages. We do not accept applications and documents received outside of this system.
The call for the 2024 PhD program will open in the second half of October 2023.
Please fill out the form using a web browser on a desktop computer. Web browsers on mobile devices (i.e. Android, iPhone, iPad, etc.) are not supported.
WHAT APPLICATION MATERIALS ARE REQUIRED?
We ask you to upload the following documents to the application portal:
- Statement of purpose (SoP) is an important part of your application that will tell the admissions committee who you are and explains why they should admit you. In your SoP you introduce yourself, your interests and motivations, summarize your undergraduate and previous graduate career, discuss the relevance of your recent and current activities, elaborate on your academic interests and what motivates you to apply to this particular program. You should also indicate what you would like to study in the graduate school in enough detail to convince the faculty that you understand the scope of research in their discipline, and are engaged with current research themes. Please specify up to three research groups at ISTA that you find the most interesting.
- University transcripts and diplomas of all degree programs and all years you have attended and/or are currently enrolled in (in English and in original language)
- Contact information of 3 referees who can assess your academic and research performance
All documents have to be submitted in English and copies of university transcripts also in their original language.
WHAT ARE THE SELECTION CRITERIA?
The selection committee uses a collection of indicators to evaluate the applicant’s preparedness, motivation, and potential. The following will be considered:
- undergraduate performance: overall, with a special focus on relevant field-specific courses
- reference letters provided by professors and senior scientists: one letter from industry is acceptable, but letters from an academic background are given priority; referees are asked to address analytical capabilities, technical proficiency, ability to work independently and motivation/commitment;
- statement of purpose: the applicant’s past research experience and motivation for applying to this particular PhD program: is it a good academic fit? how does the program contribute to the candidate’s future career plans?, etc.;
- additional relevant skills (field-specific): demonstrated in, e.g., internships and/or participation in research projects, participation in science Olympiads, programming languages, lab techniques, etc.
- transferable skills: e.g. communication skills, experience with working in teams, previous mobility and international experiences, leadership experience as demonstrated in student organizations, etc.;
- diversity: e.g. a woman in computer science/math/physics; an applicant who switched fields, etc.;
APPLICATION AND SELECTION TIMELINE
The call for the 2024 PhD program will open in the second half of October 2023. The first review process will be completed in the course of February. Candidates will notified about their status by the beginning of March.
Shortlisted candidates are invited for interviews, to take place in March/April Interviews may be conducted either remotely or onsite. Offer letters will go out after the interview period, and candidates can accept or decline the offer of admission by 30 April. The start of the PhD program is uniformly on 15 September.
If you have any questions about the IST PhD scholarships or the application process, please visit the IST website or contact the IST Admissions Office.