- The time rate of increase in velocity is called
- A. force
- B. momentum
- C. acceleration
- D. speed
2. Which of the following quantities is a vector?
- A. Volume
- B. Momentum
- C. Energy
- D. Speed
3. In an elastic collision, momentum is conserved as well as well as
- A. velocity
- B. kinetic energy
- C. potential energy
- D. speed
4. The induced current in a coil always flows in a direction so as to oppose the change that causes it. This statement is known as
- A. Coulomb’s law
- B. Lenz’s law
- C. Faraday’s law
- D. Ampere’s law
5. Which of the following instruments can be used to compare the magnitudes of charges on two given bodies?
- A. Electrophorus
- B. Ebonite rod
- C. Gold-leaf electroscope
- D. Proof planes
6. A body of mass 2 kg is released from a point 100 m above the ground. Calculate its kinetic energy 80m from the point of release.
- A. 1600 J
- B. 900 J
- C. 600 J
- D. 200 J
7. Which of the following waves is not mechanical?
- A. Waves in pipes
- B. Water waves
- C. Radio waves
- D. Sound waves
8. A loaded spring is set in simple harmonic motion. The force that tends to restore the load to its equilibrium position is
- A. adhesive
- B. elastic
- C. frictional
- D. gravitational
9. Which of the following cases cannot produce total internal reflection? A light ray travelling from
- A. glass to water
- B. kerosene to air
- C. air to water
- D. water to ice
10. The vacuum in a thermoflask reduces heat loss resulting from
- A. radiation only
- B. conduction and convection only
- C. radiation and convection only
- D. conduction only
11. The diagram above represents an experimental set-up for verifying
- A. lens formula
- B. refraction laws
- C. reflection laws
- D. mirror formula
12. Which of the following statements about a moving object is correct?
- A. When accelerating, the resultant force acting on it must be equal to zero.
- B. There must always be a non-zero resultant force acting on it.
- C. At a steady velocity, the resultant force acting on it must be equal to zero
- D. At a steady velocity, the air resistance must be equal to zero.
13. If the efficiency of a transformer is 100%, which of the following equations would be correct?
- A. NpEp = NsEs
- B. NsIp= NpIs
- C. NsIs = NpIp
- D. IpEs = IsEp
14. A freshly demagnetized bar magnet is placed in the East-West direction to ensure that
- A. the molecular magnets remain randomly arranged.
- B. the molecular magnets are properly aligned
- C. it is affected by the earth’s magnetic field
- D. the magnetic domains are within the earth’s field
15. Which of the following graphs of a charge Q against potential difference V across the capacitor is correct?
- A. A
- B. B
- C. C
- D. D