How to Register for ICAN with Ordinary Level Certificate has been made simple if the proper procedures stated in this content are followed to the end. Candidate that register with ordinary level certificate will commence his/her ICAN examination from Accounting Technician Scheme West Africa ATSWA which comprise three levels of examinations; ATS I, ATS II ATS III respectively.
“The ATSWA syllabus is divided into 3 parts and each part consists of four (4) subjects. The duration for the completion of the 3 level examination is a minimum of 15 months for those with ordinary level certificate and 6 -12 months for those with higher certificate but not a degree certificate. The examination takes place twice a year i.e. March and September”.
Institute of Chartered Accountant of Nigeria ICAN has minimum entry qualification for registration, WAEC, NECO, NABTEB and NCE are all accepted if at least five (5) credit including Mathematica and English Language are included. details of registration procedures are stated below.
Minimum Entry Requirement
Holders ordinary level certificate can proceed into ICAN registration.
- Five (5) credit passes in any subject including English Language and Mathematics in the West Africa School Certificate Examination, General Certificate of Education or Senior School Certificate of Education, NECO equivalent not more than two sittings or NABTEB.
- Ordinary National Diploma of any Polytechnic recognised by the Council of the Institute
- National Certificate in Education (NCE) from any College of Education.
1. ATSWA registration fee is ₦6000 (bank charges not included) payable using any of the following methods of payment;
2. Use the transaction reference and receipt number to generate your PIN and SERIAL NUMBER here.
3. Click to submit on completion of the form.
4. Print out the completed form and sign it.
5. Attach the below documents and submit the hard copies to any of our offices;
- Original copy of the pay direct receipt/transaction reference
- Certified photocopies of your credentials any (NECO,WASCE, NABTEB, OND, NCE)
Association of Accounting Technician AAT Certificate will be awarded upon successfully completing the Accounting Technicians Scheme of West Africa ATSWA Examinations.
Benefits of Becoming AAT Holder
AAT benefits according to the ICAN website are highlighted below.
Holders of the Association of Accounting Technicians qualification can use their certificate to proceed to the ICAN Professional qualifying examinations scheme and eventually qualify as full-fledged Chartered Accountants.
The AAT certificate can also be used to secure admission into a University to study B.Sc Accounting, Banking & Finance, Economics, Taxation, Business Administration, etc. Many Nigerian Universities equate AAT Certificate with ND (Accounting) Upper Credit and, so, admit holders into 200 level of a relevant degree programme. This is particularly crucial because these days, importance is attached to University degrees by employers of labour in the Nigerian and global economy.
An AAT certificate holder can work in both the private and public sectors of any economy in the world. The certificate indicates competence, integrity and ability to take on responsibility of an accounting nature. The duties that might be assigned vary from organization to organization. They range from more routine to technical works. In the commercial and industrial sectors, holders of AAT certificate should be able to earn rapid promotion to middle level management particularly with dedication and hard work
Holders of the AAT certificates are very good Audit clerks – checking records and conducting bank reconciliations.
He/She may be an invoice clerk checking invoices and arranging payments.Be required to prepare data for computer system or to prepare accounts and cash flow statements.Be required to prepare or check PAYE, VAT and other tax returns.May also be involved in more technical aspects of auditing, preparation of financial statements and budgeting.Be used as supervisors in some organizations – planning and monitoring the work of other junior staff.These are just some of the opportunities open to holders of AAT Certificates.
ATSWA Exemption Procedures for ND and NCE Holders
- Study the Exemption Guidelines in the Syllabus or on the website to determine your Exemption status;
- Pay through Pay-direct at any Commercial Bank with the appropriate Exemption fee;
- Use the pay-direct receipt to access the ICAN website on the Internet;
- Log onto ICAN website: www.icanonline-ngr.com/pay-direct;
- Click on Students’ ATSWA Exemption;
- A Box will appear requesting you to put in your pin and serial numbers, after which you click on submit to input your data;
- Click twice on submit to submit the application on-line;
- Print-out a copy of the application form;
- Append your signature on the form;
- Get a Chartered Accountant or AAT member as your Referee/Sponsor;
- Provide his/her membership number, name and phone number;
- Take the printed copy of the completed application form and the photocopy of your credentials to your Referee/Sponsor for certification.
Attach The Following:
- Original copy of the pay-direct receipt
- Certified photocopies of your Educational Certificates by your Referee
- Original copy of the bank teller.
NOTE: YOU WILL REQUIRE A CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT OR ASSOCIATE ACCOUNTING TECHNICIANS (AAT) TO ENDORSE YOUR APPLICATION FORM & CREDENTIALS ON